Small Claims Court

When contractors and suppliers are furnishing labor and materials to a property owner, they can ignore the SCR prelien process and use judgment liens to secure payment rather than construction liens.  Judgment liens are only available on the property of the owner, and are available after a judgment is received.  The quickest and simplest way to get a judgment is in small claims court.  In Utah,  you can get a small claims judgment for up to $10,000.00.  The forms and process for using small claims are available on the Utah State Courts website.